How long does it take to cook a tomahawk steak?
3. Grill the tomahawk. Once the internal grill temperature reaches 225 degrees, place your steak as far from the direct heat as possible and close the lid. Grill in indirect heat for approximately 45 minutes, flipping every 10 minutes until internal temperature reaches 130 degrees for medium-rare doneness.
How should a tomahawk steak be cooked?
How to Cook a Tomahawk Ribeye Steak:
- Place spice rubbed steak in a 200˚F oven, on a rack, over a baking sheet to catch any juices.
- Start preheating the grill to medium-high while the steak is in the oven.
- Check the steak after about 30 minutes, but it will likely take closer to 40 minutes to cook.
Can you eat a tomahawk steak medium rare?
You can cook a tomahawk steak just like a normal one, the most important factor is to make sure it’s well tempered (rested to room temperature) so you’re getting the inside up to temp fast enough before the outside burns. It’s much better to get the inside right up to medium rare so you can sear without worrying.
What temp do you cook a tomahawk steak?
Sear for 3 minutes on each side. Place on rack in 425°F oven and bake to desired doneness, according to the times listed below. For the perfect medium-rare steak, bake for 12-14 minutes. A meat thermometer should read 130°F.
How do you cook a tomahawk steak without a thermometer?
How to Check Your Steak’s Temperature Without a Thermometer
- Raw. Feel the palm of your hand, just below your thumb. …
- Rare. Now bring your thumb to your pointer finger, and touch that same part of your palm again. …
- Medium-Rare. Touch your thumb to your middle finger. …
- Medium. Move your thumb to your ring finger. …
Is a tomahawk steak the same as a ribeye?
The tomahawk steak is essentially a ribeye beef steak specifically cut with at least five inches of rib bone left intact. The extra-long, french trimmed bone utilizes the same culinary technique that shapes a rack of lamb.
Do Tomahawk steaks taste better?
Tomahawk steak is as tender as can be, with a rich buttery flavor. The meat is beautifully marbled, and the addition of the bone adds a wonderful meaty flavor to the steak. It delivers robust flavors when you prepare it correctly.
How long does it take to reverse sear a tomahawk steak?
Reverse Sear Tomahawk Steaks
Dump the coals into one side of a kettle grill. Clean the grate with a grill brush. Place the tomahawk steaks on the cool side of the grill, and cook over indirect heat for about 10 minutes per side.